February 23 - 26, 2009, Providence, Rhode Island, USAcode4lib2009, hosted by Brown University Library, will be held in Providence, Rhode Island at the Renaissance Providence Hotel during February 23-26, 2009. Anyone who is interested in helping to plan and organize the conference, and/or stay informed about conference activities and events, should join the conference planning discussion list, which can be found at http://groups.google.com/group/code4libcon. Hashtag: #c4l09
Presentation ProposalsVoting to select the presentations for the 2009 Code4Lib conference is now closed. Results are here: http://vote.code4lib.org/election/results/7. Accepted presentations are listed on the draft schedule.
Attendees & RegistrationThere is a partial list of attendees constructed using linked data. Registration is closed but you can add your name to the waitlist: https://library.brown.edu/code4libcon09/registration/waitlist/ The conference is capped at 220 attendees. Registration fee is $125. Late registration, on or after Friday, January 30, is $175. Cancellations before January 23, 2009 will receive a refund of the registration fee; cancellations on or before February 20, 2009 will receive a refund minus a $45 administrative fee.
SchedulePre-conferences: Monday, February 23, 2009 Conference Program: Tuesday, February 24, 8:00 am - Thursday, February 26, noon Breakout Sessions Lightning Talks
Location / HotelThe conference will be held at the Renaissance Providence Hotel, 5 Avenue of the Arts, Providence, RI. (set GPS navigator to 120 Francis Street). Room rate will be $135 (including free internet access in guest rooms). A link to hotel reservations will be available on the conference registration form. Reservations must be made by February 10, 2009 to be eligible for the discounted rate; this rate will be available for 3 days before and 3 days after the official conference dates of February 22 - 26. NOTE: As of 1/12/09, the code4lib discounted block is sold out. Rooms are still available at $219/night. See the wiki for alternate housing options.
A wiki page has been created to assist in locating roommates and rides or collaborating on sightseeing and other social activities.
Travel InformationProvidence is a compact, walkable city; once you arrive it’s fairly easy to get around by foot. Public transportation leaves you at the Providence Train Station (5 minute walk to Renaissance Hotel) or nearby Kennedy Plaza (10 minutes to Renaissance). Google map showing Renaissance, Train Station, Kennedy Plaza, and Brown University.
T F Green Airport (PVD) – Located in Warwick RI, the airport is 15 minutes from Providence. Because Southwest is one of the carriers, fares tend to be good. Also, it's a smallish airport, so getting around and through is relatively pain-free. Ground transportation:
- RI Public Transit Authority - RIPTA bus #14 runs every hour or so from T F Green to Kennedy Plaza. $1.75.
- Shuttle – Airport Taxi Limo leaves hourly on the hour from TF Green 5AM to 10PM; get off at the Courtyard or Westin Hotel, both a very short walk to the Renaissance. $11.
- Taxi – about $28 to downtown Providence
Logan Airport (BOS) –Boston’s airport is about an hour from Providence when conditions are good.
- MBTA public transportation: Silver Line bus to South Station , leaves about every 10 minutes, $1.50; then get the commuter rail for $7.75. (see below)
- Commercial Bus: 1.5 hour Peter Pan bus from Logan to Providence Kennedy Plaza leaves Logan every hour on the half hour. $22.
- Taxi: about $75
- Amtrak Rail Service – Providence is served by Amtrak’s Acela and Northeast Corridor routes.
- Commuter Rail from Boston and Rte. 128. – Providence/Stoughton Line to Providence station. $7.75
- Peter Pan Buslines from Boston South Station $8-10, 1 hour to Kennedy Plaza (10 minutes to Renaissance).
CAR Overnight parking on city streets is not permitted. The Renaissance Hotel has valet parking with in/out service for $25 daily. Other nearby lots and their 24 hour rates are: Providence Place Mall (Hayes St. entrance, $25), GTech Center Parking Garage (10 Memorial Blvd, $20), Union Station Plaza Garage (5 Memorial Blvd, $20), RI Convention Center (99 West Exchange St, $18). From the South or North on Interstate 95 (Input 120 Francis Street in GPS systems):
- Take Exit 22 A-B-C Downtown/Hartford, CT – bear left toward Exit 22B-C Providence Place Mall.
- Staying in the right lane, Exit 22C - Providence Place Mall.
- Follow Providence Place to the end, and turn left on Park Street heading up the hill (along the backside of Providence Place Mall).
- After second stoplight, turn right onto the Avenue of the Arts.
SponsorsWe have generous commitments from these sponsors: Platinum: OCLC Gold: Ex Libris, Oregon State, Equinox Silver: Talis Bronze: Princeton, Brown, Serials Solution, CrossRef We have received books and subscription contributions from O'Reilly and Python Magazine as raffle prizes. Thank you to all sponsors! We are looking for additional sponsors to help keep registration affordable.
Gender Diversity and Minority Scholarships for Code4lib 2009Information on applying for the scholarships
Code4lib 2009 Scholarship recipients